OpenRocket is a free, fully featured model rocket simulator that allows you to design and simulate your rockets before actually building and flying them.
OpenRocket features a full six-degree-of-freedom simulation, realistic wind modeling, a multitude of different components including free-form fins and canted fins, clustering and staging. Read more about its features and see screenshots.
OpenRocket is an Open Source project licensed under the GNU GPL. This means that the software is free to use for whatever purposes, and the source code is also available for studying and extending.
- Fully cross-platform, written in Java
- Fully documented simulation methods
- Open Source, source code available under the GNU GPL
- Easy-to-use user interface for rocket design
- Real-time view of CG and CP position
- Real-time flight altitude, velocity and acceleration information from a continuous simulation performed in the background
- Zoomable schematic view of rocket from the side or rear, with rotation around the center axis
- A multitude of available components to choose from
- Trapezoidal, elliptical and free-form fins supported
- Support for canted fins (roll stabilization)
- Staging and clustering support
- Automatic calculation of component mass and CG based on shape and density
- Ability to override mass and CG of components or stages separately
Simulation and analysis:
- Full six degree of freedom simulation
- Rocket stability computed using extended Barrowman method
- Realistic wind modeling
- Analysis of the effect of separate components on the stability, drag and roll characteristics of the rocket
- Fully configurable plotting, with various preset configurations
- Simulation data can be exported to CSV files for further analysis
- Simulation listeners allowing custom-made code to interact with the rocket during flight simulation
Please support us, use one of the buttons below to unlock the content and you will have access in the link for download.