VirtualDub is a video capture and processing utility licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It is designed to be a general utility that can trim and clean up video before exporting to tape or processing with another program. It does not possess the editing power of a general-purpose editor such as Adobe Premiere, but is streamlined for fast linear operations over video. VirtualDub has batch-processing capabilities for processing large numbers of files, which you can extend with third-party video filters. VirtualDub is best at processing AVI files, although it can read (not write) MPEG-1 and handle BMP image sets.
Sure, you’ve probably played a few video clips on your monitor. But have you ever made one yourself? Used a video capture device? Wrestled with the software that comes with it? Felt like the software is a few leagues above or below your level? Time to try something else.
- Fractional frame rates. Don’t settle for 29 or 30 when you want 29.97.
- Optimized disk access for more consistent hard disk usage.Create AVI2 (OpenDML) files to break the AVI 2GB barrier and multiple files to break the FAT32 4GB limit.
- Integrated volume meter and histogram for input level monitoring.
- Real-time downsizing, noise reduction, and field swapping.
- Verbose monitoring, including compression levels, CPU usage, and free disk space.
- Access hidden video formats your capture card may support but not have a setting for, such as 352×480.
- Keyboard and mouse shortcuts for faster operation. To capture, just hit F6.
- Clean interface layout: caption, menu bar, info panel, status bar.